ss_blog_claim=7cf3b60b1bbf4442ebdebc5cacb82c9b

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Take out the trash day (better late than never)...

[Mock GABA 2009 update: we would've had a bonus Sunday, as the Trenton Thunder completed a suspended game from Saturday against New Britain, followed by Sunday's regularly scheduled full game. Bonus baseball! Monday's stop? Allentown, and the Lehigh Valley IronPigs. We'd be spending the day trying to find out exactly what an IronPig really is. Monday the 31st is Wall Calendar Night at the ballpark - just one week left in the minor league season!]

I swear I'm not falling down on the job. Well, I do have the balance of Gerald Ford, so I do trip and fall from time to time. It's just not captured by cameras coast-to-coast like Ford's were.

In this case, I'm talking about a dearth of blog entries of late. It's been a wild week, and the details will come soon enough, but in this economy, I still have to focus on Plan A (gainful employment) before Plan B (the 2010 GABA). There are many dreams to follow, and trust me... the GABA is anything but dead.

OK, quick reflection on the week that was:

- Suddenly, there's a horse running away with each of the three NL division races. You could write three teams on the NL playoff bracket in Cardinal red, Dodger blue, and Philly cheese sauce. (Suddenly, I want Tony Luke's. Bad. If I could click my heels and go back to the 2008 World Series, I'd run to Tony Luke's like Rocky in a training scene). The Rockies and Giants look like wild-card frontrunners, but neither team is all that complete. Which leads me to this... what if we just didn't have a wild card team in the NL this year? Phillies-Cardinals first round, and the Dodgers get a bye. I'm down... what do you think?

- I just got a call from the Big Apple. Seems they've slotted me into the 4th spot in the Mets rotation for the rest of the year. Considering I pitched my last competitive inning at age 14, the call was a shock. The bad news is, I think I injured my wrist putting the phone back in its charger. I'm out for the rest of the season.

- Speaking of injuries, rumors abound that Rich Harden may be heading to Minnesota after the Twins claimed him on waivers from the Cubs. The Twins hope Harden can show their other young pitchers how to spend extended time on the DL.

- Mark Reynolds has 40 homers. Carl Crawford and Jacoby Ellsbury have combined for 109 steals. And yet I find myself depending on Matt Diaz for those coveted last few runs and RBIs in fantasy this year. Matt Diaz and David DeJesus. Strange sport, this fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment