ss_blog_claim=7cf3b60b1bbf4442ebdebc5cacb82c9b

Friday, August 21, 2009

Old skool... with a 'k'

Sometimes, those idle last 30 minutes of the work week are a gateway to pure fun. Or insanity.

So it's Friday night, and everything essential's on lockdown at the ol' jobby job. Just sticking around to make sure nothing blows up before it's clock-out time.

And then, an equally bored colleague mentions RBI Baseball. Someone grab Marty McFly, 'cause we're going back in time...

http://nintendo8.com/game/5/r.b.i._baseball_3/

Yes, I know... it's not the original RBI Baseball, which is to modern baseball games what Les Paul is to modern guitars. We're talking Founding Father here, with two capital Fs.

No, this isn't Bret Saberhagen throwing that damn drop ball to Mike Schmidt in the "Am" vs "Na" showdown, but it's close. And in some ways, better.

RBI 3 was an innovator of modern baseball gaming. There, I said it. I have branded myself as old school, and I don't even care. The ability to play as any "current" (1990) team, or past division champs? Instant replays? Home run distances? The Canadian National Anthem when a north-of-the-border team is playing???????

You've gotta be kidding me. In the early 90s, this was futuristic like a hover board. (two Back to the Future mentions in one blog post? It must be the weekend!) And there are so many hidden gems in this game. Clearly, the MLBPA wasn't interested in working with the fine folks at Tengen to get usage of some of the star players from past division champs. And how did our gaming forefathers deal with this?

They used the band names from Rush. That's right, Mike Schmidt is actually Alex Lifeson. And Steve Garvey (who ain't my Padre) goes by Neil Peart in RBI 3. That's it, I'm playing Fly By Night and 2112 all weekend...

Snap, back to reality and the final minutes of work Friday night. I'm playing a Nintendo baseball game, on a computer, using the Z and X keys along with Enter and Ctrl. And my colleague, who apparently has some Arch-sized chip on his shoulder about Jose DeLeon, wants me to play as the Cardinals.

The 1987 Cardinals. Coleman, McGee, artificial turf, and all the steals and sacrifices allowed by law. Yup, you can be that team in this game.

I did him one better. I played as the 1990 Cardinals. Yes, the much crappier version, the one with Todd Zeile hitting cleanup (if only players could get injured in these old games).

And I started Jose DeLeon. So while my buddy was behind me ranting like a Mets fan after yet another injury, I retired the 1990 Braves in order for two innings. Which is like taking candy from a baby for two innings straight.

And then it was quitting time.

My colleague still hates Jose DeLeon. I'm thinking about sending him to therapy. Right after I play as the '84 Padres. That's right, '84 Tigers, let's see how big and bad you are when you have to face Neil Peart!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment